Thursday, June 24, 2010

Can We Panic Now?

Hey look: a blog post!

So here's an overview of the past week: a fun and informative book signing; more packing; ArmadilloCon preparation; music writing; and trying not to panic.

On Saturday I went to a book signing for Melissa Marr.  This is actually the second of her signings I've attended (so nice to live relatively near a fabulous author!), so I was looking forward to going.  She is a really wonderful, genuine person.  She's so personable, and gives the immediate impression that she truly cares about other people.  So not only is she a great writer, but she's a great human being as well.

Unfortunately the state of the highway on Saturday meant that it took an hour and a half to go 30 miles.  I had left a little early, but not early enough apparently, so I missed a little of the first bit of Q&A.  But the signing afterward more than made up for it!  I was at the end of the line and got to chat with Melissa for about 10-15 minutes.  She had some really excellent advice on querying, along with a list of agents and websites to check out.  Thank you, Melissa!

Also on the writing side, I've revised the first chapter of the WIP based on some recent critiques, and I last night I sent the revised version to the ArmadilloCon writers workshop.  I'm SO excited about the con.  Several of the other people in my critique group will be attending as well, and I can hardly wait to get together with them.

The WIP is going well overall.  The critiques on the first section have been really encouraging in addition to having some good advice.  I'm continuing to plug away toward the finish before doing any further revision, though.

As for the rest, I've completed a new piece of music for the two-stick shooter in production at GeeQ.  I'm pleased with it.  Hopefully I'll have some time to do a little more music in the coming weeks.

But of course, a lot of that will depend on how the packing goes.  The move is only a few weeks away!  The bookshelves and china cabinet are all packed up, and I can't believe how many boxes are filled just from doing that much.  Still a lot to do, and we won't even have time this weekend since we'll be out of town, so that'll leave most of the packing for the July 4th weekend.

What was that about not panicking?

Well, as you can see, life hurtles forward.  I've managed not to drop any balls yet, so hopefully that trend will continue.  All the best to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment