Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An Experiment in Truth

Everywhere I look I see New Year's Resolutions. If you're like me, you may be getting tired of the trend. In fact, you may even now be rolling your eyes and thinking “not another New Year post.”

So I'm going to try very hard not to repeat the same sentiments everyone else is sharing. Instead I want to talk for a while about truth.

Recently someone very special in my life mentioned that if he could change one thing about himself he would stop lying so much. He said that he doesn't trust people. He lies because he doesn't want to face the consequences of the truth.

I'm not going to expound on the virtues of telling the truth or the “tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.” But I do think that most of us want to be thought of as honest.

I know I want people to trust me. I want the person mentioned above to trust me. So that's my goal this year.

And with that in mind I want to introduce An Experiment in Truth. I'm going to work toward more honesty in my own life, particularly with regards to this person. I'm also going to attempt to write out one true thing a day to post on Facebook and Twitter. I won't promise it'll be deep out of respect of privacy concerns, but I will try not to be too shallow either.

If you are one of those people who struggles with telling the truth, or if you want to support someone who is relearning how to trust people, I encourage you to join me. I do understand that some people simply shouldn't be trusted, and some truths should only be shared with people you know well. But I think that the majority of us can benefit from learning to be more honest.

Who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. I am and have always been a slave to the truth. Nearly honest to a fault, I'm afraid. Luckily, with age I have learned who to trust with those truths and who not to. It's been a painful process, but well worth it in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I think many of us, as honest as we want to be, sometimes find ourselves telling the little white lies... whether it's to protect someone or to make a situation easier. At least I do, so maybe I should only speak for myself. I'll accept your challenge. One true thing a day... even in the small things.

    ReplyDelete