Friday, January 21, 2011

Recent Reads

I don't have an in-depth book recommendation for today, but instead I want to make a few quick mentions of the books I've been reading lately.

1. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. I've been drawn into this series since the first page of the first book. The plot is beautifully intricate, the character relationships are compelling, and the writing never gets in the way. I was totally satisfied with the conclusion of this book, and I'm looking forward to reading some of her others.

2. Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Sunshine was originally published (in 2003) as an adult novel, and that was the printing I read. Recently it has been reprinted as YA, but I don't know if the more graphic scenes have been changed in that version or not, so be aware that it might not be appropriate for all teens. Personally I loved the book. The storytelling is fantastic. Every paged soaked me in the fantasy world McKinley created. This book will be going on my re-read shelf.

3. White Cat by Holly Black. Following last week's cat post, I thought this would be a fitting book to read. I have it on my Kindle, and I'm currently about halfway through. The plot idea is very unique; I haven't seen anything quite like it before. I love how Holly Black took events in history and twisted them just a little to fit her alternate universe. Great world-building.

4. Firelight by Sophie Jordan. I'm about halfway through this book too. I'm really getting into the story. I keep picking it up to read a chapter here and there—when cooking, while at the gym working out on the bikes, every spare moment I get. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends!

Anyone else read anything fun lately?

2 comments:

  1. I just finished Across the Universe. Very cool book! And Firelight is on my TBR list, I may have to go find myself a copy this weekend! I've already read White Cat and CoG and loved both of them. You have such good taste :)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Across the Universe looks fantastic! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete