Thursday, April 10, 2014

Throwback Thursday

It's Thursday, and in honor of "Throwback Thursday" I thought I might try out a new #tbt: an old writing sample instead of a picture.

Unfortunately it seems I have lost the very first story I ever wrote. (Or rather, attempted--it was never completed.) But I do have everything I wrote from my college Creative Writing class onward. Here are the opening and closing paragraphs from one of the short stories I wrote for that class:

She had flowers in her hair. I remember the first day I saw her--the flowers were what caught my eye. I wondered then as I do now where she might have gotten them. I’ve never seen flowers in this town, not even wildflowers. She could not have afforded to buy them, and I remember that they weren’t nice store flowers anyway. They were handpicked from the ground, and they were starting to fade...


She had flowers in her hair. I remember them. They were pale blue wildflowers, and I wondered where she had gotten them. They were starting to fade. I think that’s what I’ll always remember about them. They were pale blue, and they were starting to fade.

It's actually not as terrible as I was expecting considering how long ago I wrote it... seems like ages. I was a different person then (who wasn't somebody else ten years ago?), but I still recognize some of myself in the sentences, if not in the story itself.

Do any of you have early writing hiding in a drawer somewhere to pull out for #tbt?

1 comment: