Monday, January 24, 2011

Not a Bad Monday

Three things that make this a pretty good Monday:

1. Nathan Bransford's First Paragraph Challenge. I've read through several of the entries. Some of them are quite impressive. Go on over and check it out if you haven't already.

2. Only one more day before The Iron Queen is released! So exciting. I can't wait to devour it.

3. You folks have got me thinking about some of my favorite songs. In particular I started thinking about (and then listening to) my number one song, which, unsurprisingly, I associate with writing. One Prairie Outpost by Carbon Leaf has a line that, for me, epitomizes writing: “One prairie outpost you are how I feel / Alone in a flat land 'tween the dream and the real.”

To me writing is about living in that lonely place between dreaming and reality, looking over the flat landscape and choosing to fill it, to create something worth sharing. Every time I hear the song I feel a chill... and then I get the urge to write.

What song best describes writing for you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Yay! I totally forgot The Iron Queen was coming out this week! SO excited!

    Hmmm...I haven't really thought about a song that describes writing for me. I do listen to the Hellboy 2 Soundtrack a lot while writing - it's very atmospheric (and no words to distract me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I'll have to look into that soundtrack. My writing music is a Pandora station based off of Ronald Jenkees. As you said--no words to distract me.

    ReplyDelete