Friday, June 24, 2011

Recent Reads

Recently finished:

Delirium by Lauren Oliver – This book was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be: intense, beautiful and heartbreaking. I read the second half of it certain that any minute I would turn a page and something disastrous would happen. There wasn't any surprise to it for me, but it was a good book. If you aren't sick of dystopian stories yet and you're willing to read something heavy, you might appreciate this book.

Enclave by Ann Aguirre – Generally zombie books aren't really my thing, but the Freaks as they're called in this book didn't bother me... probably because the story wasn't really about them so much as about the main characters. (Actually, I think my problem with zombies is that often zombie stories are depressing and the few human survivors are rapidly dwindling and have no hope.) Enclave turned out to be a brighter-than-expected adventure.

Currently reading:

Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard – I'm not all that far into it yet, so I don't quite know what I think of it. Mandarin herself is interesting. The verdict is still out on the other characters.

Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin – I got this without realizing it was supposed to be a follow-up to another book, but so far it has read as a stand-alone. I'm finding myself drawn into it more than I thought I would be.

Vikings, the North Atlantic Saga by William W. Fitzhugh and Elizabeth I. Ward – My current nonfiction research book. Viking research is altogether too much fun. But I'll probably talk about that more in the next couple weeks, so for now let's just say I'm entertained.

What have you been reading lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment